Baking Sunday: Oat and Cinnamon Cookie Scones

It seems like baking has taken the beauty blogging world by storm lately after the introduction of Ben's Cookies dupes by viviannadoesmakeup (found here). After reading liana-beauty's post about oat and raisin cookies, I knew I had to give it a go, so I set aside this Sunday as baking day and tried to whip up a storm.

Presenting..... Healthy-ish Oat and Cinnamon Cookie Scone Things

Oh my, what a mouthful- just like these scrummy snacks! Inspired by Amelia's post, I attempted to make exact copies of her delicious looking cookies but about halfway through I realised that I didn't have some of the ingredients, and couldn't even go out to get any (damn you, snow), so I had to deviate from the recipe quite a bit. These are really easy and quick to make, so any Sunday cravings can be satisfied right away; enjoy!

Don't pay any attention to this- I wrote it down before I'd adjusted the ingredients and everything- just wanted to add in an artsy photo!

Ingredients (adjusted to serve 11+ depending on how big you like your cookies!):
100g unsalted butter- softened
65g caster sugar
45g rolled oats
150g plain flour
1 medium egg
1 tsp honey
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
As much milk as necessary

Method:
1. Preheat the oven at around 180*C (fan-assisted). Cream together the sugar and butter- WARNING: may take some serious arm power if you're a little weakling like me!
2. Add the egg and honey before mixing it all together. At this stage it looks a bit like a badly made omelette but that's a good sign so don't panic.
3. Combine all of your dry ingredients (flour, salt, bicarb, cinnamon) in a seperate bowl before adding to the main mixture.
4. Stir in the oats and gradually add splashes of milk until you make a wet dough that shouldn't look too stodgy, if it does then don't worry- I'll get to that on the next step!
5. Use a spoon to scoop the mixture into palm-sized balls, you may need to coat these in flour to make them roll-able. Then pop them on the tray, you'll probably need two trays.
6. Using the palm of your hand, squish the balls down to about half the thickness. Bake in the oven for around 15/20 minutes- just check on them until you see them begin to brown. Leave them on a cooling rack for half an hour or so and then enjoy! (Mine came out fairly pale as you can see in the photos, substitute in brown sugar/wholemeal flour if you want them to look a little more tanned).

Ta-da, here's the finished result! I admit, they aren't so much cookies as little scone type things, hence the weird name, but they really are quite tasty and moreish- so maybe don't have these right before a Sunday roast! Don't worry about piling on the pounds though, these babies are actually pretty healthy- and can be made even healthier by subbing in a sugar alternative like Splenda- these are approximately 150 calories each (yes, I really did work that out haha), perfect for calorie-conscious foodies like my mum.

Hope everyone's had a lovely weekend, let me know in the comments section below if you'd like to see any more recipes!

No comments :

Post a Comment