My Statement Red Lip

I am one of those oddballs that wears red lipstick (think more plum, less tomato) in the day and the evening- so risqué- but here's the reason why: I went on a university road trip to Bath last year, and it was suggested that me that when I go to uni, I should have a statement, something that all of those fresh new faces can remember me by. Mum suggested headbands to which I sighed "That is soooo 2007; Blair Waldorf basically copyrighted headbands don't you know", then she came up with scarves- again, scoffed at with lots of tutting. Eventually, after I'd shot down about ten ideas, she stopped the suggestions. But my mind continued to wander, and I eventually settled on a red lip.

Ramble over! The evolution of my statement red lip, hereafter referred to as MSRL, stems from a trip to Accessorize a year or so back, in which I picked up the brightest red (I think it was called Really Red but I don't think it's available anymore). Anyway, I soon realised that I couldn't pull off a really bright red- maybe on the odd fancy dress occasion but certainly not everyday. So I evolved to Sugar Plum by Collection, which is a little bit more vampy and contains way too much shimmer for my liking...
My lips completely bare                                                       My lips with Crush JBKBS and Vaseline's 'Rosy Lips' Lip Therapy
                                                                                       (I know my face looks two different shades, it's just the lighting I think)
Accessorize 'Really Red'                                                                                                                Collection 'Sugar Plum'
Finally, I settled on MSRL (the current version) which is Revlon's JBKBS in 'Crush' topped with Vaseline's 'Rosy Lips', for a wearable yet memorable colour- and it suits my skin tone really nicely- the only reason I can generally get away with MSRL is that I don't really wear much eye make up at all (intense eyes + a red lip = make up overload).

So now, when I eventually get to uni, if people don't remember my name, I'll hopefully be remembered as 'the girl with the red lips', which is much better than some other names I can think of!

Do you have a statement look? Let me know in the comments below!

8 comments :

  1. I love Sugar Plum, I used to use this in my early teens :) You're natural lip colour is beautiful too!

    Dusterknuckles | Fashion // Beauty // Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous colour, I'm surprised at how pigmented it is for such a cheap brand! And thank you! xx

      Delete
  2. I love the 'really red' colour :) great blog lovely!!

    beautyandtheb1.co.uk

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still going strong now, about two years after buying it! And thank you, loving yours! xx

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love your lips! :X

    http://www.hdoverhls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a statement! I'm gona try to find my own. That color does look great on you btw. I'm trying to work up the courage to wear bold lips but I've only gotten as far as tinted lip balm. Someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much! Definitely give it a go, just wear a stronger colour around the house for a bit and gradually ramp up the boldness until you feel comfortable enough- it's all about transitioning! x

      Delete