Lately Loving: Music (Chilled Edition)

Due to a lack of the stereotypical '25 Facts about me' blog posts, you might not know this, but along with beauty stuff, my main love is entertainment; films, books, music*- the lot. Over the course of  the next few months, I'm going to write a few 'Lately Loving' posts encompassing them all, and to kick off the proceedings, I bring you my go-to artists for Sunday chillaxing:

1. SoMo

Okay, I'm going to put out a pretty colossal statement here, but after a few years of listening, this guy might just be my favourite singer in existence (bar Michael Jackson obv) and I am so excited to share this, seriously, he turns songs I hate into songs I love, and that takes some talent. Joseph Somo-Morales a.k.a SoMo is a Texan musician, and he has the sexiest, most soothing, versatile voice in the entire world. It doesn't matter what he sings, he'll make any song sound amazing. In terms of the type of music him and his friend Cody a.k.a Evenyre produce, it is so difficult to describe, it's got a sort of slow jammin' R&B vibe to it, but you really just have to check it out here to understand what I mean; guaranteed satisfaction. Also, it's not just popular music that he releases, he's got some seriously good originals and covers some really interesting songs. In terms of personal recommendations (although I love them all), my favourites have to be his Take Care Medley, Swimming Pools, Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, little bit of Lana Del Ray, Girls Love BeyonceWale- Bad and finally, J-Cole's Power Trip.

I do have a whole load of SoMo's covers and original songs on my iPod for bedtime listening but I'm a much bigger fan of watching his videos on YouTube so that I can catch a glimpse of his face (yes, I love him that much), particularly when he throws some seductive glances towards the camera.. mmhmm, it's too good... Oh, and SoMo posts a new video every Sunday at 7:30pm CT, so every Monday morning for us Brits (that's tomorrow by the way eeek, I'm hoping for predicting a cover of Drank In My Cup- Kirko Bangz but we'll see..). Who said Monday's have to be the worst day of the week?

2. The Neighbourhood



After gradually increasing the amount of songs by The Neighbourhood that have reached my 'Watch Later' playlist, I've come to realise that I like them much more than I originally thought.. might even be getting slightly addicted- oops. Sweater Weather is a current favourite of mine but to be honest I'm actually loving the whole album they've just released. They've also done a pretty cool mix of Say My Name/ Cry Me A River which makes for some pretty relaxing listening.

3. Reload Sessions

Okay, not strictly an artist- oops- this channel posts some interesting acoustic covers of such a wide range of songs, and every video is quite chilled. I like to listen to this as background music when I'm doing work, as it's not too pretentious, nothing too crazy, just a good selection of talented people.. in fact, I know two people that have actually recorded videos for RS! If you'd like to hear some creative interpretations of both chart songs and others, definitely check this channel out.

4. Amber



This isn't so much a favourite of mine as a 'one to watch'. Sticking with the friend vibe, I know one of the members of this band (but I promise that's not why I'm including them here) and their music is just so so relaxing. The entire composition of the music, branding (exemplified above, it's lovely), video production, everything is just so smooth and impressive; they have actually claimed to be perfectionists and it totally comes across as it's so well put-together.. Either way, I'm expecting pretty big things from Amber, so if you've got some free time, please check them out here and here. Oh, and they just did a little thing for BBC Introducing which you can find here

On a final sidenote, I rediscovered an old favourite song of mine this year, and it is one of those timeless classics: Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Every time I hear this I can't help but sing/whistle along, it's that good.

I hope that this has enabled some of you to make some exciting new discoveries, and I also hope that you enjoyed this sort of post! Have you got any music recommendations? Feel free to let me know in the comments below.

*NB: I don't have a particular music taste- classical, pop, punk, rock, indie, hip hop, rap, country- whatever genre, I'll have a favourite, but I do gravitate a little bit more towards the more hip hop/indie/rap side of things in general. It annoys me slightly when people assume that, because I'm not a hardcore fan of one band, I don't care what music I listen to as that is completely untrue- in fact, it's the complete opposite. I listen to different music depending on my mood so if I'm at the gym, I won't be listening to depressing indie music, before bed I won't listen to energetic pop/rock music, but I guess that's the same for everyone. Rant over.

7 comments :

  1. I always love music recommendations, thanks for these! I just listened to the Young and Beautiful cover by SoMo and it's so good!

    xoxo, Aman | coffee chic twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hun, since you're new to blogger and I love your blog so much I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Awards! Hope you participate!

    xoxo, Aman | coffee chic Liebster Awards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll get around to it soon, just read yours (I'd like to travel the world too) xx

      Delete
  3. I love hearing people's fav songs - it gives me more things to listen to!

    sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know someone from Amber! I go to uni with Joe! who do you know?! such a small world :)

    beautyandtheb1.blogspot.co.uk

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, crazy! I know Felix; they're pretty good! xx

      Delete