Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Toner vs. Pixi Glow Tonic


It's pretty well known by now that Pixi's Glow Tonic is one of my all time favourite skincare products, and rules the roost when it comes to exfoliating toners, but a couple of months ago it's last drop was lovingly eeked out onto a cotton round, so with the knowledge that Glow Tonic is a pain to get, I thought I'd shop around for an alternative. Enter: Clarins' Gentle Exfoliating Toner.

In terms of product comparisons, I think Pixi wins hands down. The Clarins offering has a slightly tackier almost gel-like texture and is only recommended to be used a couple of times a week (although Caroline puts this down to the fact that bigger beauty houses tend to play things safe) whilst Glow Tonic is an simple liquid tonic, and works well when used most nights in my opinion. The Glow Tonic is much stronger and you can really feel and see results- both contain salicylic and glycolic acid, although the Gentle Exfoliating toner doesn't have nearly as much- from first use, continually. My skin is always so much smoother, brighter and just feels more revitalised with Pixi (plus it's one of the only products I've found to active work on resurfacing the skin and tackling those nasty scars), and it just packs much more of a punch, which I prefer, despite the fact that I have slightly sensitive skin.

Packaging-wise... I'll give you that one Clarins. The pump can get a bit annoying but it seems that Pixi have taken notice of this and are changing it for the online release- seriously Pixi, how 'soon' is 'coming soon'?!. For the price points, you can pick up the Clarins for about £25ish/150ml whilst Pixi offer up the Glow Tonic at a mere £16 for a whopping 250ml. I would definitely say that if you've been using the Clarins number for a while and either aren't seeing great results/want to step it up a level, then maybe integrate some Glow Tonic into your routine.

So which one will I be repurchasing? Sorry Clarins, I'm with Pixi on this one. Hands down.I can't even believe I've not repurchased already, I'm just waiting for Pixi to hurry up with that online release.. hint hint

7 comments :

  1. I have the carins toner and I agree with you it is not as stong as other exfoliating liquids. I really want to try this glow tonix, sounds like it gets the job done!

    http://allaboutevesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glow tonic is just my go-to. It just sucks because it's so hard to find and almost always out of stock! Hopefully they will get the online release sorted soon xxx

      Delete
  2. such a lovely post

    http://pomegranateandcoffee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried either of these! I've been using the Mario Badescu one

    http://mercuteify.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the Mario Badescu one before aswell, it's pretty good- I'd probably put it bang in the middle of these two, it's stronger than Clarins but not quite as strong as Pixi! Overall, a nice inbetween xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi, new follower here :3
    I've been thinking about getting a nice exfoliating toner with Glycolic Acid (for salicylic acid I already have a nice option..) and I'm not sure about what to get. I started my AHA and BHA exfoliation with Avène's Cleanance Mask which contains both acids (it's really good and I think that it's a nice product to use when stating in this world) but I'm scared about the tonics. Most people I know recommend me Liquid Gold Straight away (which contains 10% of glycolic acid...the botherline of acid!) and I want something more gentle to use but I also want something effective. As far as I know, Glow Tonic contains 5% of Glycolic acid but I really know anything about the Clarins one.
    To someone that it's starting, which one would you recommend? (and have you seen Pixi's new packaging? it's so pretty!)
    Thank you very much for your time!
    Take care*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Diana,

      Ahh I'm eager to try out the Cleanance Mask, it definitely sounds like a good one. I wouldn't really recommend starting straight away with Liquid Gold- especially if your skin is more on the sensitive side- but it's nice to try something gentler. I would either recommend the Clarins toner or Mario Badescu's Glycolic toner (if you can get your hands on it!). I have a couple of bottles of the newly repackaged Glow Tonic and it is very pretty indeed!

      Have a lovely day! xx

      Delete