The Best Of 2013: Skincare

As 2013 is drawing to an end, I thought I'd put together a post detailing my favourite products of this year. In terms of skincare, I've had a pretty big revelation since beginning this blog back in February. My skin was near-perfect for months, and then in July, I took the decision to come off the antibiotics I had been taking. Since then my skin went from bad to worse, most likely a side effect of my hormones balancing themselves out again. I've had some real lows in terms of cystic blemishes, constant patches of nasty bumps, dryness.. Fortunately, it finally seems as though my skin is sort of back on the up and- other than drinking lots of water and keeping an eye on my diet- these are some of the products that are helping me through.



Kicking things off with cleansers, which I have in abundance, I've realised that cleansing gels and milks just don't cut the mustard with me.. particularly not in the winter. Instead, I've been turning to a duo that have really been a pretty perfect pairing. First up, Clinique's Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm is just a god-send for removing makeup, a hard balm that melts into a fluid-like oil upon application, this feels luxurious but has a complete no fuss approach. It's fragrance free and just gets the job done, working fantastically as a first cleanse. The main showstopper when it comes to cleansers has got to be REN's ClearCalm 3 Clarifying Clay Cleanser though- I must have repurchased this a good three times since first using it because there's just nothing wrong with this cleanser. It's creamy but also clay-based so it stays on the skin nicely, massages in well, feels very soothing, softens the skin immensely and just leaves my face feeling totally balanced, soft and clean without feeling remotely tight. I usually apply this by firstly wetting a flannel with hot water and holding it onto my face to prepare it to receive the product, then massaging the cleanser in with short gentle strokes, leaving it on for half a minute or so, and then carefully removing with the hot flannel- making sure not to rub or pull at the skin at all.

2013 will always be remembered as the year that I discovered exfoliating toners. The two that have battled for contention have been Pixi Glow Tonic and Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Toner, the latter a gentler, less punchy almost dupe of the former. Both contain acids that slough away dead skin cells and really help make the skin appear more radiant, I've been using these on any rough patches to help smooth over, reduce redness and generally improve skin texture and evenness.

I haven't really been very diligent at all with moisturisers. I know it's probably awful to say, but I've found that since rotating them out of my skincare routine my skin has improve massively. Once my skin gets back to normal, I'll start re-introducing moisturisers back into my routine, but for now, I'm mainly getting my hydration fix in terms of Aveda's Intensive Hydrating Masque, a perfect one for people that find their skin to get quite irritated by moisturisers, this cooling gel mask applies to the skin and literally feels completely weightless. I was initially worried that this would irritate my skin but I can't even feel it whilst it's on and it's so easy to remove, everyone should have this in their stash.

Masks are just some of my favourite products around. I usually apply them on a Sunday and perhaps on a Wednesday, and the one that's been getting the most attention from me is Aesop's Parsley Seed Cleansing Masque. It's just an all-round do-gooder that really does help sort out a whole host of problems plus it lasts for absolutely ages, the full ode to can be found here.

My favourite treatment has without a doubt got to be Mario Badescu's Buffering Lotion. I've only had this little bottle for a few months but it has become an absolute staple in my skincare routine so I've used up quite a lot of it- it's definitely something I'll be repurchasing though as I really don't think I can be without it next year. The bottle contains some liquid that you shake well before applying to cleansed skin- I found it best to apply neat, not sandwiched between toner and moisturiser- and it is just an absolute miracle worker at calming down cystic breakouts, along with any other raised bumps/sore spots. At first this was quite drying on my skin because I was using it constantly on quite a large surface area that didn't all need it, so I'm only using this exactly where I need it and it's just working absolute wonders on preventing cystic blemishes from causing havoc.

I know this was a lengthy post so thanks for sticking through to the end, my blog has slowly shaped itself around skincare, it's something that I've become really quite interested in so I doubt that the make up version will be anywhere near as long! Do you have a stand-out favourite skincare item for 2013?

4 comments :

  1. I love ren ClearCalm 3 and the Clinique TTDO balm! They both have done wonders for my skin.

    http://mercuteify.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good together, I reordered the REN cleanser last week and I'm still waiting on it to turn up- feeling so lost without it as my old ones are totally and completely empty. Fingers crossed it comes today.. xxx

      Delete
  2. Clinique take the day off balm. Holy Grail. Amazing isn't it?! It has totally changed my skin,

    pearlsandsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so in love with it! I need to buy a new one though, mine's almost all run out! xx

      Delete