Best of 2013: Tools and Brushes

Firstly, I'd just like to apologise for the unintentional brief hiatus that I've been on over the past week or so (has it been that long? *slaps wrist*). I've been really busy lately, and I'll still be busy over this upcoming week too. I have a lot going on at work and my driving test is on Wednesday so I'm trying to get in as much practise as possible! Anyway, onto today's post: my favourite brushes and tools of last year..



One of my favourite and most 'umm'd and 'ahh'd about purchases of the year was the Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler. I knew that this was supposedly the best eyelash curler ever but it was also a pricey one, and I didn't really think I needed it, but on an impulsive whim I picked it up and haven't looked back since. It just gives the perfect amount of curl and really opens the eyes, prepping them perfectly for mascara, although I even use these on days when I don't fancy wearing mascara and it still makes the lashes do that fluttery thing. #1fan.

The next favourite is naturally, a MAC 217 brush, fluffy and tapered, this is perfect for blending eyeshadows and is just an absolute staple of my aforementioned eyeshadow kit. There are dupes on the market but I don't really think you can beat the real thing- if you are considering the purchase, I'd wait to see if it turns up in a sale anywhere because it is pricey- I got mine 15% off in the Debenhams sales so heads up!

The last makeup related item is my Real Techniques Expert Face brush, a.k.a my perfect go-to partner to foundation. I have yet to invest in the Core Collection, just because I don't think I'd use all of the brushes but the Expert Face Brush is just so perfect for buffing foundation into the skin. The size is also perfect for under-eye concealing too so think of this as a multi-purpose wonder product. Not too pricey either, considering it will last for ages with good care (it washes well too).

The Body Shop's Facial Massager is making the cut; I've been rolling this over my cheeks and neck a couple of times a week and it just leaves my skin feeling much smoother and more elastic, a very satisfactory dupe to that coveted jade roller. A few more miscellaneous bits include flannels (self explanatory, currently perched next to my cleanser in the bathroom ready for today's pampering session), matchsticks that I use constantly to light my candles, and my absolutely beloved crocodile clip that keeps my hair pinned up in a perfect messy bun (my standard hairstyle for whenever I'm at home).

Finally, I've got to show some love for my techy blog-related tools. Props to my MacBook Pro for just being generally great, this arrived at my house at the start of January but I did order it in 2013 so technically it counts. And of course, where would I be without my Canon 600D?! It definitely was my absolute favourite purchase of the year, without it, and of course the kit lens, my photo quality would still be horrendously bad and  I doubt I'd have as many readers as I do today.

What were some of your favourite tools and brushes of 2013?

6 comments :

  1. 217, amazing!

    pearlsandsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great brush if you're an eyeshadow regular! xx

      Delete
  2. The 217 is the top of my beauty craves, never thought I'd be lusting after an eye brush!

    Sophie | sophielouisew_ fashion.beauty.lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha things can surprise you, I never thought I'd be struggling to tear myself away from one! xx

      Delete
  3. Hiya, I just thought I would let you know that I have nominated you for the 'Versitile Blogger Awards'. It's a really fun way to get to know people, I hope you can partake in it.
    The link can be found here:
    http://fairybaking.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    Best wishes, Stephanie!
    http://fairybaking.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, I have a serious addiction to your blog so I'll definitely have a look at it! xx

      Delete