Pre-Cleanse Alternatives

Any loyal readers will be aware of my deep rooted affection for Clinique's Take The Day Off cleansing balm, a perfect buttery consistency that transforms into an oil, easily dissolves make up and general grime, plus it's excellent for buffing away any dead skin cells before cleansing. Alas, I unfortunately scooped my last scoop out of the tub last night- and it's not in stock anywhere (what's up with that?!). I had realised that I was running low a couple of weeks back though so I've been testing out some potential contenders.



As per Jen's suggestion, I picked up Clarins' Pure Melt Cleansing Gel- I wouldn't have even considered using a gel as a pre cleanse but fortunately this one does turn into an oil after a little elbow grease massaging it in. Once you get to that stage, it's very similar to Clinique's offering.. except for one thing. After having massaged TTDO in for a little while, it begins to exfoliate and buff away at the skin very nicely, and that's probably my favourite part of the entire pre-cleansing process- particularly as I'm currently battling some dry patches around my forehead and chin areas. So although it's a very good alternative, I miss the exfoliating quality too much to be totally happy with it- that said though, I think when my skin is smoother, this will be the perfect option.

REN's Hot Cloth Cleanser was an impulsive add-on whilst I repurchased my favourite cleanser- you know what it is- and I was quite intrigued by it, being that it was a very different consistency. I was also quite wary about the ingredients list (it contains cocoa butter which I was unsure about using on my face) but that turned out to be the least of my worries. Basically, it's creamy but not in a particularly nice way, slightly more scented than I would like and it really was very difficult to remove makeup with- I probably spent a good five minutes attempting to massage it into my skin but it just appeared to sit on the top and not really do all that much. Perhaps it would be better as a 'main' cleanser but I'm not convinced so far.

On the plus side, this came with a really lovely cleansing cloth- very soft and with a texture inbetween a muslin and a flannel, so it glides over the skin without tugging, but has enough grip that it does have a certain exfoliating quality to it. Heavenly.

Ultimately, nothing compares to TTDO- Clinique, you have stolen my heart, now please please please put my all time favourite cleansing balm back in stock (I really don't like being without it)! If anybody has any other suggestions, please feel free to leave them below.. I think I'm probably best sticking to a balm, so Emma Hardie is practically calling my name..

6 comments :

  1. I love the Clinique Take The Day Off Balm

    Happy valentines day!

    pearlsandsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it online and repurchased it so it was a very happy Valentines day all round! Hope yours went well lovely xx

      Delete
  2. I never tried the Clinique Take The Day Off even if I always wanted to, but I have the Emma Hardie cleansing balm, so I need to finish that one before. The Emma Hardie offering sounds pretty similar, balmy and oily, super hydrating, however it hasn't any exfoliating action.

    x Giada | The Beauty Recensionist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently they are quite similar, but Emma Hardie can be used as a main cleanser and is more nourishing, and Clinique's TTDO is more fragrance/fuss-free so works well as a pre-cleanse. With TTDO you do really have to massage it in for a good five minutes to feel the exfoliation but it's so worth it! xx

      Delete
  3. Have you maybe thought to try The Body Shop Camomile Cleaning Butter? I use it as a pre-cleanse and it works really well with my skin. I use to have acne before but when I bought myself Clarins gentle exfoliating toner and this cleansing butter, I now have best skin after 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the recommendation, I have both of those rolling around somewhere (yet to use TBS Camomile cleansing butter) so I'll definitely give them a go! xx

      Delete